JavaTM 2 Platform Std. Ed. v1.6.0
- All Superinterfaces:
- All Known Subinterfaces:
- ByteChannel, GatheringByteChannel, InterruptibleChannel, ReadableByteChannel, ScatteringByteChannel, WritableByteChannel
- All Known Implementing Classes:
- AbstractInterruptibleChannel, AbstractSelectableChannel, DatagramChannel, FileChannel, Pipe.SinkChannel, Pipe.SourceChannel, SelectableChannel, ServerSocketChannel, SocketChannel
public interface Channel
- extends Closeable
A nexus for I/O operations.
A channel represents an open connection to an entity such as a hardware
device, a file, a network socket, or a program component that is capable of
performing one or more distinct I/O operations, for example reading or
A channel is either open or closed. A channel is open upon creation,
and once closed it remains closed. Once a channel is closed, any attempt to
invoke an I/O operation upon it will cause a
to be thrown. Whether or not a channel is open may be tested by invoking
Channels are, in general, intended to be safe for multithreaded access
as described in the specifications of the interfaces and classes that extend
and implement this interface.
Closes this channel.
Tells whether or not this channel is open.
- Tells whether or not this channel is open.
- true if, and only if, this channel is open
- Closes this channel.
After a channel is closed, any further attempt to invoke I/O
operations upon it will cause a
ClosedChannelException to be
If this channel is already closed then invoking this method has no
This method may be invoked at any time. If some other thread has
already invoked it, however, then another invocation will block until
the first invocation is complete, after which it will return without
- Specified by:
close in interface
IOException - If an I/O error occurs
Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved